Monday 10 February 2020

After a rough week back in July, 2016 I thought of things I'd like to do by the end of the year Mark and I turned 50. Rather than the 'challenge myself' stuff that got me starting the blog in the first place, it's what I thought would help me feel positive, proud of, or just plain enjoy. 



I haven't managed them all but I got 15 of my 20 achieved. 

  1. Go fishing  - Hurray for fishing - it was great fun. 
  2. See the Giant's Causeway How has that not happened? Still, current state of arthritic knees makes it hard to imagine it happening in the near future
  3. Try salsify and Jerusalem artichokes  Salsify didn't taste of very much, Jerusalem artichokes were OK. 
  4. Go rock pooling - A happy day at Sandsend took care of that
  5. Sing in a choir - I think I'm  over this one. Somehow I'm not bothered anymore. 
  6. Grow cut flowers - Huge success! 
  7. See live music - Since first writing the list I've seen James, Elbow and George Ezra.
  8. Visit Hadrian's Wall - What a lovely day out that was!
  9. Spend all day at the movies - Nearly managed it then life got complicated. 
  10. Learn to apply make up properly - Heather-in-London got for sorted, but the hot flushes of menopause mean it's a skill I can't use just now. No one needs mascara running to their chin.
  11. See the Northern Lights - TICK! Best thing imaginable.
  12. Go whale-watching - Also TICK! A morning watching a pod of orca hunt for herring before a night chasing Aurora Borealis. What a day.
  13. Learn a new range of cooking - I can make loads of curries now, and am not intimidated by long lists of spices
  14. Sew something I can wear - My slouchy jersey T Shirt was a lot of fun to make
  15. See a new ballet company - My birthday trip to Covent Garden was amazing. What a venue, what a company
  16. Learn to play a song on an instrument - Another music based challenge I moved past, totally forgot.
  17. Go Birdwatching on the Farne Islands - Not only that but Bempton Cliffs twice AND met lovely Iolo Williams from Springwatch
  18. Return to Paris - (and eat enough cheese to sink a ship) TICK
  19. Cook a decent roast dinner - I can roast a chicken!!!!! I've done it three times and didn't even need to name the last one. My first attempt, with Janice the Zombie Chicken was pretty traumatic for us both (especially Janice, because she was dead) but I feel confident about it now
  20. Build sandcastles - because it's fun yet I never do it anymore. And still haven't.
I made a T shirt!


In addition I've seen a starling murmuration, made a stained glass artwork, organised annual street parties, seen 2 of my children reach adulthood, gone on marches and protests, rejoined active feminist campaigning, been to Venice, played virtual reality video games (badly!), swum in a river, built and aviary and kept quail, eaten a tasting menu at a Michelin starred restaurant, met several of my heroes, seen loads of theatre and tried a number of new crafts.
Stained glass 

Now to look forward...


Starling murmurations are amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment